FORUM

WGC rebuts 'exaggerated claims'

I recently read Mr Robertson‘s comments on our gold demand statistics in his article “Exaggerated gold demand claims”, and I wanted to raise a few points.

Mining Journal
WGC rebuts 'exaggerated claims'

As anyone working with statistics knows, before analysing data, it is crucial to understand what the numbers mean. And to do that you often need to look at the accompanying notes and definitions - a dull but vitally important part of the job.

If Mr Robertson had done that before writing his article, then I'm sure he would have avoided including numerous inaccuracies, such as:

• We report fabrication and consumption numbers separately in our Gold Demand Trends data so that there is no confusion between the two.
  • Our surplus/deficit number is "the difference between total supply and gold demand. Partly a statistical residual, this number also captures demand in the OTC market and changes to inventories on commodity exchanges, with an additional contribution from changes to fabrication inventories".
  • Recycling is not fresh supply - it is "gold sourced from fabricated products that have been sold or made ready for sale, which is refined back into bullion".

We strive to be as clear and transparent as possible when reporting developments in the gold market, and I strongly believe that had Mr Robertson read our notes and definitions before writing his article, he would have realised that the arguments he presented in his piece were not robust.

John Reade
Chief Market Strategist and Head of Research
World Gold Council

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the farming sector, brought to you by the Kondinin team.

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the farming sector, brought to you by the Kondinin team.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence Project Pipeline Handbook 2024

View our 50 top mining projects, handpicked using a unique, objective selection process from a database of 450+ global assets.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence Investor Sentiment Report 2024

Survey revealing the plans, priorities, and preferences of 120+ mining investors and their expectations for the sector in 2024.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence Mining Equities Report 2023

Access an exclusive, inside look on the quarterly mining IPOs and secondary raisings data and mining equities performance tables with an annual Stock Exchange Comparisons supplement.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence World Risk Report 2023 (feat. MineHutte ratings)

A detailed analysis of mining investment risks across 121 jurisdictions globally, built on 11 ‘hard risk’ metrics and an industrywide survey.